Friday, August 28, 2009

Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund

I really liked this book. On the front cover is a quote from the LA Times: "Beautifully written. Lyrical . . ." and I agree. I can't ever put my finger on what makes the writing "lyrical," but this qualifies. It is the story of Una, the wife of the famous whaler, Ahab, from Moby Dick. I have never read Moby Dick and had only the most basic outline of that story in my head, but you don't need even that to enjoy this book. Una (the narrator of the story) lead a very interesting life, first in Kentucky, then on an island with her aunt and uncle, who are the lighthouse keepers, then dressing as a boy and going to sea. Some of the characters of Moby Dick are here (which I learned by reading a synopsis on Wikipedia after I finished this book). I rate this book 5 out of 5.

No comments: