Saturday, October 02, 2010

The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian

Laurel Estabrook was brutally attacked by 2 men in her sophomore year of college.  After graduation, she goes to work for a homeless shelter, where one of their clients is a schizophrenic elderly man named Bobbie Crocker.  When Bobbie dies, he leaves behind a box of photographs and negatives of surprising quality.  Laurel becomes obsessed with learning the truth about Bobbie and his photographs.  This was a gripping story that I enjoyed very much, although I was a little disappointed with the writing style.  I don't know enough about writing to be able to put into words what I like and what I don't like, but some writing just seems to sing and this didn't.  It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great.  But the story was good enough anyway (I had similar comments about the last book I read by this author - Skeletons at the Feast.  You can read my review of it here).  This is my book club's current month's selection, and I rate it 4 out of 5.

No comments: