Saturday, January 16, 2010

Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson

I read this book several years ago, but it was the current month's selection for my book club, and it was a really good book, so I decided to read it again so that I could discuss it intelligently.

Kabuo Miyamoto, a commercial fisherman, is on trial for the first degree murder of Carl Heine, another fisherman.  the story unfolds slowly and deliberately and is primarily about prejudice and racism.  There are many parts to the story:  a childhood romance between Kabuo's wife Hatsue and Ishmael Chambers, the owner of the local newspaper; the internment of Japanese Americans after the bombing of Pearl Harbor; the cheating of the Miyamoto family by Carl Heine's mother during World War II, which might be a motive for murder.  It was very well written.  I rate it 5 out of 5.

2 comments:

CathieG said...

I think I have this book on my bookshelf somewhere. If I remember right I started it and never finished...Maybe I will pull it out and try again.

Serena said...

I really enjoyed this book. You should check out the movie with Ethan Hawke!