I worked on the Faces on Fabric class today that I'm taking from Terri Stegmiller. I've got my face fused to the background:
We're going to be adding stitching in the next lesson and painting in the lesson after that.
I'm going to be adding flowers on the right side of the quilt.
I fused two fabrics wrong sides together and cut out some petal shapes. I hooped a water soluble sticky stabilizer and attached the petals (if you didn't have a sticky, you could use a spray adhesive, but the sticky makes it easier). Then I free motion stitched around the edges of the petals and in the centers. That's as far as I've gotten, but the next step is to remove the stabilizer. Then I will put a vase with stems to the right of the face (I haven't chosen my vase fabric yet, nor have I named my girl). The petals will be attached to the tops of the stems in the centers only so that the flowers will be 3D. I will also probably put some beads or crystals or french knots or something in the centers of the flowers.
Ultimately, this quilt will be sent to Lenna Andrews for her Fabric Techniques 12X12 swap. This is the first time I've participated in one of Lenna's swaps, but they look really good. The deadline isn't until April 22, and she's already received 3 quilts. I would be happy to have any of the 3 she's received so far. We have a couple of trips planned in the next few weeks, so I'll be working on this quilt every chance I have in order to have it finished in plenty of time to get it mailed by the deadline.
And speaking of trips, we're leaving in the morning to visit our son and daughter-in-law in Minneapolis. It's a lot colder there than it is here in Oklahoma! I just hope we don't hit any bad weather on the road. I was making them a quilt, and I finally finished it over the weekend. I'll try to take a picture of it with them and post it from there. I had hoped to finish it much earlier, but I was having trouble with my sewing machine. I solved that problem last week by trading my machine in for a new one. The problem was in the electronics of the machine, and the repairman was just going to have to start replacing circuit boards one at a time until the problem was fixed. As he was telling me this, all I could think of was a car we had several years ago that had an intermittent problem that we were never able to fix. After spending much money trying to get it fixed, we were told the next item to replace was the computer. That's when we decided to trade cars. I didn't want to start down that path again (you know - been there, done that).