Tuesday, February 03, 2009

A Thread of Grace by Mary Doria Russell

I finished this book Monday night - it is my first read for the WWII Reading Challenge. It "tells the little-known story of the vast underground effort by Italian citizens who saved the lives of 43,000 Jews during the final phase of World War II." (quoted from the back cover) It was very well-written and followed the stories of several different characters. While this book and The Madonnas of Leningrad were very different stories, I was struck at the end by the similarity between Claudette (in this book) and Marina (in Madonnas) - how neither would talk about their experiences during the war and how their children didn't feel like they knew them - and even thought they were cold. I rate this book 4 out of 5.

2 comments:

Anna said...

Sounds like a good one. The Madonnas of Leningrad is in my TBR pile, and I just might have to read this one, too.

I created a post for your review here on War Through the Generations and added the link to the book reviews page.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Sandra said...

I loved The Madonnas of Leningrad so I'll definitely try this one. Thank you for reviewing it.