Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean

Marina is in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease. She remembers her days as a tour guide for The Hermitage Museum in 1941 Leningrad more clearly than she remembers details of her grown children's lives. As the German Army approached, the Hermitage employees boxed up and hid for safekeeping all of the artwork - 1.1 million objects. During the first winter of the siege of Leningrad, the museum staff and their families lived in the basement of the museum - almost 2000 people. This is told as Marina's memories, which she confuses with the present: her granddaughter's wedding. It is a sad story but beautifully told. I found out about this book through my local book club - they read this book last spring before I joined. I rate it 4 out of 5.

4 comments:

Fannie said...

Merry Christmas, C! Enjoy your time with your family and friends.

You are loved,
~Fannie

Anonymous said...

Cheryl - thank you for your kind comments on my concertina journal panels.
The book you reference here, I have never heard of, but will look for it now. It sounds fascinating.
I wish you a very Merry Christmas.
Hugs,
Marci

JennaLouiseCreates said...

Happy Holidays to you! Thanks for sharing so much information. I will be reading some new books soon! Hugs, Jenna Louise

Anna said...

Sounds like a great book. This is in my TBR pile, and I'll be reading it for the WWII challenge.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric