Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

This book tells the story of Anne Boleyn from the perspective of her sister Mary, who is the narrator. Mary was the mistress of King Henry VIII before Anne. I don't know how historically accurate the book is, but it is well written and mostly believable.

Mary is only 14 when Henry becomes interested in her. She falls in love with Henry until she realizes that she is only a pawn in her family's ambitions. Henry's interest in Mary wanes (after she has 2 children by him) and Mary is forced to step aside for her sister Anne.

I enjoyed the book very much and rate it 4 out of 5.

1 comment:

nfaband said...

This sounds very much like a book I'd enjoy reading. I really like historically accurate books. I'll have to add it to my list of "must reads".
Tania