Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Petoskey Watercolor Journal by Catherine Carey

I really enjoy looking at other artists' visual journals.  I have read Catherine Carey's blog off and on (here) and knew that I liked her painting style; it always looks so fresh and loose.  I did enjoy this book very much, although it isn't exactly like looking into her journal.  Instead, there is a full sketch on the right hand side of each two page spread, and usually a very small sketch on the left hand side of the page.  Then she talks a little bit about what it took to get the sketch, or what the day was like, or where she was, or some suggestion for keeping your own visual journal (such as this quote from page 106):

"Don't save your journal painting just for trips and special occasions.  There is plenty to observe and paint in our daily lives."  I need to remember this more often!  I rate the book 4 out of 5.

1 comment:

Kathy A. Johnson said...

I love peeking into others' illustrated journals. I'll have to look for this one.