Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pemberley Ranch by Jack Caldwell

Another book I chose to read after reading several reviews of it on War Through The Generations blog.  I didn't like the book as much as the other reviewers did.  It was a re-imagining of Pride and Prejudice, set in Texas right after the end of the US Civil War.  This is the first retelling of Pride and Prejudice that I've read (there are a LOT of them), and it's been 4 years since I read Pride and Prejudice (which I've only read once and really liked).  I wanted to like this book, but I didn't think it was very well written.  There were cliches and colloquialisms and the dialogue didn't ring true with me. The story was all right, but not great.  Overall, I rate it 2 out of 5.

1 comment:

Kathy A. Johnson said...

How disappointing. At least you gave it a shot, though. P & P is one of my all-time favorite books. I want to reread all my Jane Austens one of these days, and get to know the others as well as I know Pride and Prejudice. Oh, and I want to read Death Comes to Pemberly!