Monday, November 28, 2011

The Chosen by Chaim Potok

From Amazon reviews:

In 1940s Brooklyn, New York, an accident throws Reuven Malther and Danny Saunders together. Despite their differences (Reuven is a Modern Orthodox Jew with an intellectual, Zionist father; Danny is the brilliant son and rightful heir to a Hasidic rebbe), the young men form a deep, if unlikely, friendship. Together they negotiate adolescence, family conflicts, the crisis of faith engendered when Holocaust stories begin to emerge in the U.S., loss, love, and the journey to adulthood. The intellectual and spiritual clashes between fathers, between each son and his own father, and between the two young men, provide a unique backdrop for this exploration of fathers, sons, faith, loyalty, and, ultimately, the power of love.

I read this book for my book club.  I had actually read it many years ago (probably while I was in high school), and then my husband and I had listened to the audio version a couple of years ago while on a car trip.  I decided to read it again in order to be able to discuss it somewhat intelligently and I'm glad I did - I enjoyed it again and it was an interesting discussion.  I rate it 4 out of 5.

No comments: