Thursday, August 18, 2011

Enemy Women by Paulette Jiles

I read this book for a read along on the War Through The Generations blog, which is also hosting the US Civil War Challenge that I'm participating in this year.  It is the story of 18 year old Missourian Adair Colley, who is falsely accused of being a Confederate spy and is sent to a women's prison in St. Louis.  The prison commander tries to convince Adair to give him some information so that she can be released. While I mostly enjoyed the story, I found parts to be unbelievable and thought it was not very well written.  But I learned about the imprisonment of women during the Civil War that I didn't know about before.  I rated it 3 out of 5.

1 comment:

Serena said...

I also didn't enjoy this book as much as I had hoped. I really wanted to learn more about the imprisonment of women during the civil war, but there were so many elements of this story that were "out there." The strongest parts of the book were the war scenes and the intimate scenes between Adair and the major....but those were not enough for me with this one. The final discussion questions will be up this friday...we were a bit late with last friday's discussion.

I'll be posting my review this friday on Savvy Verse & Wit