Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley

Iowa farmer Larry Cook decides to pass his 1000-acre farm to his 3 daughters.  When his youngest daughter Caroline questions whether that's a good idea, he cuts her out altogether.  Everything spirals downhill as suspicion and accusations fly and terrible events of the past are remembered.  This is the first book I've read by this author, and I really enjoyed her writing; I will read other books by her.  It is my 16th book for the New Author Challenge 2010 (my goal was 15 books, but I will continue to report on books I read by authors who are new to me).  I rate this book 4 out of 5.

2 comments:

Kathy A. Johnson said...

I'm glad you liked this book, Cheryl. I've tried to read it twice and couldn't get into it. I've read a couple of her other books that I DID like, however. My favorte was (understandably) Horse Heaven.

Hansi said...

I really liked this novel. It's fascinating how Jane Smiley has retold a classic in a hauntingly beautiful setting while adding another dimension to the human feelings underlying this drama.
You can read my review at http://abstractperceptions.blogspot.com/2010/12/thousand-acres.html