Monday, April 26, 2010

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

I enjoy reading books that take ancient stories or myths and retell them from a new perspective.  I have read several books like this (Helen of Troy by Margaret George and the Guenevere series by Rosalind Miles are a couple of examples I've read in recent years).  The Red Tent is another example.  It is the story of Dinah, the daughter of Jacob and Leah from the bible, told in her own voice.  The title refers to the place where women gathered during their monthly cycles and to give birth.  It begins during Dinah's childhood with her mother and her father's 3 other wives and tells the story of her life.  It was an interesting look into the lives of women during biblical times.  I rate this book 4 out of 5.

1 comment:

Kathy A. Johnson said...

I read this book with a book club a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot.

If you're still looking for new authors, I am currently reading The Coral Thief by Rebecca Stott. It's very interesting so far.