Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Old Banyan Tree - Again



I put this in my regular journal. It's amazing how much more you learn by doing the same painting more than once! I wanted to see if I could get clouds in my sky (I did) and make my roots look more gnarled (I think I did). And I wanted to get more colors and values into my tree. There is a white spot in the water that must be some sort of flaw in the paper - it wouldn't take the paint. So I put a few more white spots around it to make it look a little more natural. Weird.

And I think I've finally learned how to use my water brush. Sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake - I finally realized that if I squeeze it while I'm painting, I'll get water on the page. DUH! Up until now, I'd just been holding the brush, being careful NOT to squeeze it. I don't know why that never clicked with me before, but better late than never I guess.

3 comments:

nanke's stuff said...

Welcome to EDM! I took some time to look thru a bit of your lovely and interesting blog. You hae some very nice pieces here and I really enjoyed my visit! nancy

Anonymous said...

The tree and water and clouds look great! I know what you mean about something just dawning on you. Isn't that what a lot of life is anyways. It was there all along, but we just come to understand it! Way to go Cheryl! :)

Pam said...

I enjoy reading your posts about your painting adventures. Love this tree on the beach.