Friday, May 09, 2008

Online Class

I'm taking another online class - I know, I'm addicted, but they're so much fun. I'm really enjoying this one - it's called Mixed Media Surfaces for Fiber Artists, taught by Sue Bleiweiss. We've just had one lesson so far, but I've already made several things!

This first picture is of tissue paper fused to fabric, and then colored with several things - including color wash sprays, acrylic paint, and silver krylon pen.



The next two pictures are of the back and front covers of a book for the samples from class, and the book itself. I still need to add some interesting fibers to the binder rings, but otherwise it's done. This has torn pages from books and newspapers. Then it has cheesecloth on top and it's colored with color wash sprays (I love sprays!). Then I put the flowers on and covered the whole thing with tulle.



This is going to be the cover of another journal - I still need to cut the signatures, which I think I'm going to make from watercolor paper. I'm really happy with how this turned out! It is layers of pattern tissue, colored with walnut ink spray, cut apart and fused to black felt. I used a decorative stitch on the edges of the cut pieces too.



And finally, this is a mother's day card I made for my mom from the tissue paper fabric in the first picture (luckily, I don't think my mom reads my blog).



You can't tell the sizes of the pieces from the pictures: the first piece started out as fat quarter size (18" X 22" approximately); the sample book is 9 1/2" X 6"; the journal cover was 9 1/2" X 13 1/2" before I used a pinking rotary cutter blade on the outside edges; and the card is 4 1/4" X 5 1/2".

I'm trying very hard to keep up in this class, because we're going to be gone for a little over a week about halfway through the class, and I'll get behind then. So I'd like to be caught up when we leave.

I highly recommend this class - if you're interested, you can read more about Sue's classes here.

No comments: