Monday, May 05, 2008

Helen of Troy by Margaret George

I finished this book today. It was a very long book - 638 pages - but I really enjoyed it. I actually like long books if they're good, and this one was. It is the life story of Helen, Queen of Sparta, who runs away with Paris, of Troy, which is the cause of the Trojan War. Helen is the narrator. I always enjoyed studying Greek Mythology in school (I know, I was weird). And I really like historical fiction, although I was surprised to learn after finishing the book that historians don't know whether any of the characters existed. In fact, the after word states, "We have no evidential corroboration that there ever existed a Helen of Troy - nor an Agamemnon, nor a Menelaus, nor an Achilles, nor a Paris. Among scholars, there are fierce disputes about Homer, and whether, even if there is an actual site of a historical Troy, there ever took place anything we can truly call the Trojan War." But it is still a great story, true or not. And this book was very well written. I rate it 4 out of 5.

No comments: