Wednesday, April 02, 2008

March Quilting

I managed to quilt most days in March after joining the challenge to "quilt every day." I finished one project:



I also worked on another quilt that I had put aside for a couple of years - it's called Diamond in the Rough. I'm not finished with it yet, but I have all of the blocks completed and sewn into rows; I'm in the process of sewing the rows together. I needed some more fabric for the borders to make it bigger, which I was able to find recently. Here are the rows (the little white squares you see are my notes pinned on to keep the rows in order):



And here is a close up of one of the blocks:



The reason that I hadn't worked on this quilt in a long time was that I was unhappy with a couple of the fabrics in the star points; there wasn't enough contrast between them and the background, so they disappeared. I decided to use Fabrico ink on the couple of fabrics that were too light, and it made all the difference in the world. It's a reminder that value is often more important than color.

I also did some machine embroidery this month, but I don't have a finished product to show yet.

7 comments:

eclairep said...

Your quilts are beautiful! Can you explain what exactly you did with the Fabrico ink? Did you color in the whole triangle, or what?

eclairep said...

Your quilts are beautiful! Can you explain what exactly you did with the Fabrico ink? Did you just color in the triangle, or what?

Cheryl Gebhart said...

eclairep - In answer to your question, I used the Fabrico rubber stamping ink in a pad, and a dauber (like a little sponge). So I basically sponged the ink onto the triangles, after masking the adjoining fabrics with post-it notes (since I did most of this after sewing the pieces together). Thanks for your comments - and I hope you see this answer.

laura west kong said...

Those are both wonderful quilts! I love how the first one seems to glow. Check back on my blog after the 10th for the complete list of participants' projects.

Vicky aka Stichr said...

I really like your background choice behind the stars! The first photo shows how it like a marbled/handdyed fabric, both perfect bg's I must say, but the close up photo shows there are 'things' in the bg...very clever.

Juryizstillout said...

I do that, too..use notes to keep it straight in my mind.

Great job on both!

Shelina said...

These are both beautiful - how wonderful that you can do so much in just a few minutes a day.