Saturday, October 15, 2005

Artist Trading Cards

I mentioned earlier that I love participating in swaps. Well, probably my favorite swaps are of Artist Trading Cards, or ATCs. These cards are 2.5" by 3.5" in size (the same size as sports trading cards), and can be done in any technique that an artist chooses. They are only traded, never sold. Other than that, and the size, there are really no rules for ATCs. There are a lot of internet groups for trading; this is how I do most of my trades. It works like this - one person (the host) decides on a theme (for example, dragonflies). The host then posts information about the swap (things like due dates, number of atcs to send, address, whether to send a self addressed stamped envelope, etc.). Interested participants email the host to sign up. Participants send their completed cards to the host by the due date, who then swaps them out to all participants. It is a great way to get a little piece of artwork from a wide variety of artists on a theme of interest to you. Here is one of my favorite atcs that I made recently - the theme was dragonflies.

No comments: