Monday, April 22, 2013

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati

I am trying to catch up on my reviews; I finished this book a little over two weeks ago.  It is the story of Elizabeth Middleton, a 29 year old spinster who leaves England in 1792 to teach school in a remote village in New York.  She is joined by her brother Julian to live with their father, Judge Middleton.  Upon their arrival, she meets Nathaniel Bonner, a hunter and trapper who was raised by Mohawks.  It reminded me of the Outlander series in many ways; historical fiction, romance, strong female lead character, just as long but not as well written.  It is also a "sequel" to Last of the Mohicans (which I've never read), since Nathaniel Bonner is the son of Dan'l Bonner, or Hawkeye, from that book.  I enjoyed the book, which is the first in a series, but I'm not sure whether I'll read the rest of the series.  I rate it 3 out of 5.

1 comment:

Timaree said...

I either started and didn't finish The Last of the Mohican or I didn't even start it but I have heard of it. The followup book sounds good. I liked the first book of the Outlander series but then she got too weird for me so I quit them. Maybe I'll try this one.