Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Four Spirits by Sena Jeter Naslund

This is the third book I've read by Naslund.  The first, Ahab's Wife, was definitely my favorite, but this one was a  close second.  It is set in Birmingham, Alabama, during the early 1960's, the site of the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing on September 15, 1963.  The church was an African-American church, and four young African-American girls were killed in the bombing.  The book follows several fictional characters through this violent time in our history; blacks and whites, men and women, racists and civil rights advocates.  I enjoyed the book and rate it 4 out of 5.

1 comment:

Kathy A. Johnson said...

I LOVED Ahab's Wife, but haven't read any of her other books. Got sidetracked, I guess. I'll have to look out for this one.

I put Outlanders on hold at the library! There are others in front of me, so it may be a few weeks before I get the chance to read it.