Thursday, February 18, 2010

Beach Bugs



This lesson was intended to get us out of our comfort zone, and it certainly worked for me. But I really enjoyed doing this.

We are painting from photographs provided by Laure Ferlita, but if we were painting these guys on location, we wouldn't have much time. So this lesson was all about capturing a likeness of the crabs based on coloring and suggested anatomy.

Each crab was to be sketched and painted in 15 minutes or less, and I was able to complete my entire page in 45 minutes (except for the writing, which could be done after the crabs were gone).

It certainly isn't my best painting, but I was very pleased to finish it within the time frame. I also painted the shadows without sketching them in pencil first, which I almost never do.

1 comment:

Carol said...

You may not think this is your best painting but it has a lot of charm and I think you got the feel of the crabs very well. I love it!