When I posted my Acorn Squash journal page to flickr, one of my classmates asked me for my recipe. It is one that I found here and modified because my DH is allergic to garlic and onions. So here is my version:
1 acorn squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 pound lean ground beef
2 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
cooked rice (1/4 cup uncooked)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Sprinkle squash with salt and pepper, and lightly spray with cooking oil. Place in a baking dish flesh side down, and cover with plastic wrap.
3. Microwave on high for 10 to 15 minutes, or until flesh is fork-tender.
4. Meanwhile, cook beef in sprayed non-stick pan on medium high heat until well browned, stirring frequently to crumble. Drain, and set aside. Combine beef with cheese and rice and spoon mixture into squash halves.
5. Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and squash is lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.