Thursday, December 24, 2009

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout

This book wasn't quite what I expected.  It was almost more of a collection of related short stories than a novel; each chapter could almost stand on its own.  Olive Kitteridge is a domineering school teacher in a small town in Maine whom we get to know through her interactions and relationships with her family and the townspeople.  My favorite chapter was the first one, which was about Olive's husband Henry, a pharmacist in the next town over.  I also loved this line about another couple in the book:  "It was as if marriage had been a long, complicated meal, and now there was this lovely dessert."  I rated this book 3 out of 5.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Cheryl..
I have read a few of your journal entries...very interesting idea. I am a little confused. Are these journals part of a book you are writing or just a daily journal and sketch book? It is a neat idea. I belong to a writers group and think this is a cool way to be artistic and keep a journal. Keep up the good work! Oh, and I love quilts..keep that up too! :)