Sunday, November 09, 2008

The History of Love by Nicole Krauss

I finished this book over a week ago, and couldn't decide what to write about it. That isn't because I didn't like the book - in fact, I loved it. But it is a very unusual book that is very hard to describe (for me anyway). I read it for the book club I joined in September that meets at our local library.

Because I've had such a hard time figuring out what to write about this book, I'm going to cheat and quote Amazon.com:

"Nicole Krauss's The History of Love is a hauntingly beautiful novel about two characters whose lives are woven together in such complex ways that even after the last page is turned, the reader is left to wonder what really happened. In the hands of a less gifted writer, unraveling this tangled web could easily give way to complete chaos. However, under Krauss's watchful eye, these twists and turns only strengthen the impact of this enchanting book."

There were plot twists and surprises, and I wanted to be sure I really understood what happened, so after I finished it, I read it again. I've never done that before. I rarely read a book more than once, and if I do, it is usually after many years have passed so that I don't remember it at all. But I found that I got much more out of the book the second time.

I rate this book 5 out of 5.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Sounds interesting and I love books with surprises. So often you can predict where the plot is going before you get there. Did you recommend reading Atonement? Someone in blogland did and I have started it three times now - just can't seem to get into the story. Was wondering if this is typical, and if I just stick with it, I will like it better.