Sunday, April 06, 2008

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I finished this today. I liked parts of it, found other parts to be rather boring. It is the story of Fermina Daza and Florentino Ariza, who fall in love as youths. Fermina decides to marry a wealthy doctor instead. Florentino is devastated, but he waits over 51 years for Fermina's husband to die. He declares his love for Fermina again the day of her husband's funeral. The book starts right before Fermina's husband's death, proceeds through Florentino's declaration, then flashes back to their youth. Most of the book follows the 51 years of their separate lives.

I was disappointed because I was expecting the book to be better. I liked the beginning and the ending, but it often bogged down in the middle. I would rate it 2 out of 5.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to let you know I will be in the class. too---and enjoyed looking all over your interesting Blog---you certainly do a good job !!!!! Jilly

Unknown said...

Wow sounds like a very interesting and at the same time sad story. I wonder if people who wait like this pineing away for a long lost love, are relieved or disillosioned when they finally get there!

platitudinal said...

With my short attention span I don't know whether I can pine for a long time. I'm curious, did you watch the movie?

Cheryl Gebhart said...

Well, 50 years is a LONG time to pine - even with a long attention span! LOL!! And no, I haven't seen the movie.