Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I haven't read very many classics. After seeing two different movie versions of this, I decided I really should read it. I'm glad I did. It was very entertaining (even knowing the story in advance). The story is of Elizabeth Bennet and her four unmarried sisters. Because women can't own property and their father isn't well off financially, the daughters must "marry well." Whenever Mr. Bennet dies, his estate will transfer to the girls' cousin Mr. Collins.

Mr. Darcy is a very rich and very proud man who falls in love with Elizabeth. However, Elizabeth dislikes Mr. Darcy at first, and pretty much tells him so when he proposes to her. Eventually Elizabeth has a change of heart (and Mr. Darcy changes as well - he becomes less proud) and all ends well.

I rate it 4 out of 5.

By the way, if you want to see the movie, go for the one with Collin Firth as Mr. Darcy. It's great - and very complete.

No comments: