Monday, March 10, 2008

EDM Challenge #1

I've joined a drawing and sketching Yahoo group called Everyday Matters. I really like the name - I think it has dual meanings. To me, first it means that every day is important. And second, it's about noticing (and drawing) every day items.

They have weekly challenges, which just gives you ideas of things to draw. The challenges have been going on for over 3 years now, because they're up to number 162 or so. I'm going to do the challenges as I feel inclined. I'm not going to try to "catch up" since that would be very hard to do at this point, and I'm not going to do them in order. But it just so happened that the first one appealed to me. It was to draw a shoe. So on Saturday, when we were at the Big 12 Wrestling Championships, I sketched the shoe I had on. I really wish that I had worn my brown shoes instead of my black shoes that day - it's really hard to get definition in black. But I went with what I was wearing. I finished it up tonight. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.



For most of the art I've been doing in my journals, I've been using watercolor pencils. But I decided for the black shoe I needed to use regular colored pencils in order to get shades of black and gray.



I also drew this flag on Saturday.

No comments: