Saturday, February 16, 2008

Light on Snow by Anita Shreve

I finished this book today. Pretty quick read, made quicker by the fact that I've got (another) bad cold and didn't feel like doing anything other than read today.

Nicky, age 12, and her father go for a walk in the woods and find a newborn baby abandoned in the snow. As the story unfolds, we learn that Nicky's mother and baby sister were killed in an auto accident two years earlier, and Nicky's father decides to leave New York and escape to remote New Hampshire. They've been living a pretty isolated life. When the baby's mother shows up and a big snowstorm hits, Nicky and her father must confront their own grief as well as decide what to do about Charlotte (the baby's mother).

I rate this book 3 out of 5.

1 comment:

Dana S. Whitney said...

Welcome to EDM. Love the quilts... and always glad to know that there ARE people who still read! I haven't read this one of Shreves... but I usually like her.... Is this one sad? They usually seem to be and I don't need another "sad' book for a while!!