Sunday, August 05, 2007

Vacation Posts

We've been in Colorado without internet access for the week, but I had my laptop with me, so I actually wrote up blog posts each day. I don't know how interesting they'll be for anyone, but I'm going to post them anyway. LOL!!!! They're pretty much a day by day account of our trip, and I will try to post some pictures to go with them. I think I will do this in several posts (one for each day). So here is my first one:

Monday, July 30, 2007

We made it to our cabin yesterday without incident. The place where we’re staying only has 4 cabins; we’ve stayed in 2 of them in the past. This is our first time to stay in Cabin 4. There are 2 older cabins (ours is one of them) and 2 newer cabins; we stayed in one of the newer ones 2 years ago (Cabin 2 I think) and the other older one (Cabin 3) 4 years ago (we tend to come to Colorado every other year). Cabin 3 is my favorite, although all of them are fine.

Yesterday on our way through Gunnison we stopped for lunch at a little deli called Firebrand. The food was great – I had a turkey and avocado sandwich on a sunflower wheat roll. Then we went to Harmel’s for dinner – it’s another resort with cabins about a mile south of where we’re staying. We really like their restaurant, and I ate too much. But we’re on vacation after all. In the afternoon and evening, I started on a new quilt project and realized that I had forgotten to bring thread with me! I forgot the power cord to my sewing machine one time a couple of years ago, so when I was packing my sewing stuff, I made very sure I had everything for my machine. And I got all the fabrics I needed for both projects I brought along with me, as well as tools like rotary cutter and cutting mat and rulers. But somehow I overlooked thread. Luckily I have a bunch of bobbins with me, so I started out using one bobbin in the machine and another one for the top thread.

This morning DH went fishing and I went along to take pictures. I got some good ones and some not so good ones. But the most exciting thing for me is that I saw picture opportunities everywhere – I’m learning to see more creatively, which has been my goal for a long time now. I know I still have a long way to go, but I’m really excited that I can actually see progress.

After fishing, we went back to the cabin for breakfast, then I worked on my project some more – there’s a lot of appliqué to it, so I did all of the tracing on fusible web. After lunch we went back to Gunnison to look for a quilt shop so I could buy piecing thread. Yesterday, I had seen a store with the word Threads in the name, so I figured it was a sewing store. Wrong! It was called Treads and Threads, and it was a clothing store. I told the clerk that I was confused by the name of the store and did they know of a sewing store in town. No – there isn’t one anymore. The only place was Wal-mart (ugh!). Then we went to the Gunnison Arts Center (which had a quilt exhibit last time we were here). Some quilters were in the process of hanging a quilt exhibit that opens Wednesday (we’ll be back to see it) and I asked them where to buy thread. One of the women used to own the quilt shop that closed a few years ago. She actually offered to go home and get me a spool of thread (quilters are such nice people!), but she also said that in addition to Wal-mart, some grocery stores sell thread. We went back to the grocery store (since we needed a few more things anyway) and I bought a spool of thread there. It is cheap polyester thread, and I’m only going to use it if I run out of thread on my bobbins, but at least I’ll have some thread if I need it.

I worked some more on my project this afternoon, getting all of the fusible web ironed on to the fabrics and some of the cutting done. We ate trout for dinner (DH did go fishing this morning, after all). Then tonight we played some backgammon and went for a short walk (until we heard thunder and decided it would be smart to turn around). We got back to the cabin before the rain started, and I’m glad we did – it rained pretty hard for a few minutes. That pretty much covers the day.

No comments: