Saturday, June 23, 2007

Faux Batik

I took a class on Faux Batik today. It was really cool. The fabric pieces I made didn't turn out all that great, but learning the process was awesome. Real batik uses wax as a resist, and then the wax has to be boiled out after the fabric is dyed. We used a couple of water soluble resists, so once the dying was done, we just had to rinse the fabric to remove the resist. We used paint and dye - the paint had to be heat set and the dye just had to soak into the fabric for several hours. I bought some of the resist and a book to do more of this at home - I already have the paint.

1 comment:

Cindy (aka PaintChip) said...

This sounds great. I'd love to see a picture of your final project. Even if it is just a test piece. Would be a fun thing to create and then use as a book cover... or oh so many other wonderful projects!