Sunday, March 25, 2007

Books

Ange posted a fun survey about reading on Sweet Shoppe Blog - she got it from Creative Musings by Melissa. And since Ange did it for the From Our Blog To Yours feature, I decided to play along:

Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback? Any and all. If I'm buying a book and it is available in several formats, I will usually buy the least expensive one (unless the print size is too small).
Amazon or brick and mortar? Both.
Barnes & Noble or Borders? Barnes and Noble.
Bookmark or dog ear? Bookmark.
Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random? Random.
Keep, throw away, or sell? I keep a lot. Others I give to our library for their used book sale.
Keep dust jacket or toss it? Keep.
Read with dust jacket or remove it? Usually remove it.
Short story or novel? Novel.
Collection (short stories by same author) or anthology (short stories by different authors)? I rarely read short stories.
Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket? Neither - I read the first two Harry Potter books, and unlike most of the rest of the world, I didn't like them much. I've never read Lemony Snicket.
Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks? I try to get to chapter breaks (or some other natural break) but sometimes I stop if I'm too tired.
"It was a dark and stormy night" or "Once upon a time"? Both.
Buy or Borrow? Both.
New or used? Both.
Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse? All.
Tidy ending or cliffhanger? Either.
Morning reading, afternoon reading or nighttime reading? I read when I eat my breakfast and lunch, and also before bed.
Stand-alone or series? Both.
Favorite series? Outlander by Diana Gabaldon.
Favorite children's book? The Little Prince.
Favorite book of which nobody else has heard? I don't know what other people have heard of, but one I read recently that I hadn't heard of until my son recommended it to me was The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood.
Favorite books read last year? All of the Outlander books.
Favorite books of all time? The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley and four books by Mary Stewart - The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment, and The Wicked Day.
Least favorite book you finished last year? A Conspiracy of Paper by David Liss. It was just barely good enough to keep reading.
What are you reading right now? Plainsong by Kent Haruf.
What are you reading next? Haven't decided yet.

No comments: